Tuesday, October 4, 2011

And now for something completely different


I made this last weekend at Art is You in Petaluma, an art retreat. I was signed up for 3 1/2 days of workshops, but was so busy with making jewelry that I could only attend one. It was a tough choice, but I decided to forgo the jewelry making workshop with Thomas Mann (seeing as I make jewelry 7 days a week as it is) and I attended the Michael deMeng workshop, Dr. Xray's portrait.

Using transparancies, photos, found objects and Michael's fantastic aging techniques, this is what I came up with. I started off with an old photo that I took in Uganda (which had been printed on watercolor paper via polaroid transfer), a transparency of the photo, a bank receipt from Cairo and a deep frame. It was really fun to do something totally new and different, and I hope to do more workshops with him next year. Click on the photos for a much more detailed view.




And since we artists have to support each other,
I came home with this amazing piece of Michael's.


Check out Michael's blog here. His books are great, and if you ever
 have a chance to take one of his workshops, do it! You won't regret it.

2 comments:

VerbenaPlace said...

This is gorgeous Sue! You are one talented artist!

Denise said...

I love the mood you created with that piece. Really nice!

Denise