Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Baby kiln


My Christmas present to me this year was a second kiln. I rely heavily on my Paragon SC-2 and haven't had any problems with it, but decided I should have a back up kiln, just in case. My boyfriend Kelly is a transmission mechanic and has seen pretty much everything break during his career, so he has instilled in me the importance of having spares of tools and equipment that are really important. When I was racing motorcycles I had my race bike, an identical spare bike and a spare motor. One weekend I blew up the motors in both bikes and had to race one of Kelly's bikes, so I'm a believer in spares too.

Anyhoo... I got the Paragon SC-1, which is very tiny and heats up to 1650 in ten minutes or so! It takes my SC-2 almost 30 minutes to get up to temperature. During the holidays I was firing small batches once or twice a day, so this kiln is perfect for that. It's so light and small that when I want to use the bigger kiln, I just pick up the little one and put it on the floor.

4 comments:

PeculiarForest said...

how cute! I never knew there was a smaller sc series.

Sue said...

It's funny how the SC-2 looks positively enormous now!

PeculiarForest said...

yeah I was just thinking that, and I thought the sc2 was small as it is!

Chin Lee 3 said...

Wow, what a small kiln and a small world. I have 2 kilns also (in my living room) I use them to warm up my treats. Have you ever considered doing a Octopus necklace?? Or a Shar pei chasing a cat??