Sunday, August 15, 2010

Drawing just for the fun of it

I draw all the time in the design and making of my jewelry, but it's been years since I've drawn just for the enjoyment of it. I recently discovered Zentangle, which is a structured doodling method which results in pleasing little drawings. I gave it a try, and remembered how much I love drawing in ink. I've moved away from the Zentangle format a bit, instead re-visiting the themes I used to draw, since I like to draw critters and such, not just pure abstraction.

Drawing with ink on paper is a good challenge because there is no erasing! I start off with a basic subject, like the rhino, beetles or mushrooms, sketch it out very roughly in pencil and then in ink, and do the rest in ink only, with no plan. I have no idea what will fill the rest of the page after the main subject is inked in. I use this small square sketchbook, which has very high quality, thick paper that the ink doesn't soak through.


Inevitably I add things I don't like, so then I have to figure out what to do about it. That's the biggest challenge, and my only rule is that I have to finish each one that I start. I may not love it when it's done, but no starting a new drawing until the last one is complete. Drawing without a plan is also new to me, I used to have it all laid out and would then would ink over the pencil, but I'm finding that I'm quite enjoying not knowing how it will turn out. If you want to know more about Zentangles you can check out the web site : http://zentangle.com/

5 comments:

Marie said...

Beautiful! I love the mushrooms.
Marie @ Lemondrop ViNtAge
August giveaway

Katlyn said...

I love them! Makes me want to try it!

ana said...

these are wonderful! :D i love the rhino!

Beth Hikes said...

Oh my goodness! Coincidentally I went to visit my niece in August while you were writing this blog article and I was drawing with her thinking...what fun to draw without a plan or the need for an outcome. When I came home I decided to do 120 day drawing challenge and created this blog along with my joy journal: http://heartspeak120.blogspot.com/

How cool to see your post with a journal as I was scrolling through my blog! Kismet :) I love your drawings and this idea of drawing without a plan. Thanks for the link. I'm off to check it out.

Anonymous said...

I love the cross hatching and pointilism techniques with these drawings. Nice work, thanks for sharing.