Friday, August 28, 2009

Hello Romania!

There is a cool little widget over on the right side which shows where in the world visitors to my blog are coming from. I've been noticing a fairly steady stream of visitors from Romania lately, including someone in Timosoara, which is not far from the town of Triebswetter, where both my grandparents on my Mom's side are from. When they lived there (before WW2) it was still Austria-Hungary, buy my family is German speaking and we consider ourselves German.

I was really fortunate in that I got to visit Triebswetter in 1984 with my grandparents. It's a very small farming town, and at that time not all that much had changed from when my grandparents lived there. My great grandmother was still alive, and we had many relatives there, most of whom are now in Germany. This was during the Ceauşescu era, so I got to experience a bit of his brand of Communism first hand. I would love to go back sometime and see what has changed.

1 comment:

HappyDayArt! said...

This is interesting Sue. My parents were Hungarians and I went back to Budapest and visited my aunt and uncle in 1986. I loved it and would like to go back too. I'm not sure if they are still around anymore because even though I do speak Hungarian my writing is not very good so the letter would be pretty short.

It was fun seeing you in class this last weekend. Your friend was nice too.

Catherine