Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Custom piece


I did these two pieces for my old friend Lori after we reconnected on Facebook. We hung out together in the mid to late 80's, right after high school, going to lots of punk and new wave shows. We were very cool with our asymmetrical haircuts and our Doc Marten's (hmmm, I had very asymmetrical hair until about a month ago and my closet is still full of Docs!) Back then mohawks and pink hair were still unusual and a bit shocking. Whenever I see kids today sporting that look I want to go up to them and say "that's so cute, I wore my hair like that when I was your age".

Anyhoo... Lori is training for a half marathon, and wanted something that symbolized strength and perseverance for herself and her training partner. She found the west African Adinkra symbol which symbolizes just that, the Tabono symbol. I suggested the 13 dots which represent 13 miles, and the tiny dot in the center is the final .10 mile. We had a good time catching up while designing the piece together.

2 comments:

Lora Hart said...

I can't believe you haven't done a show! What are you waiting for??? You'll sell out! ;-)

Lori VF said...

Thank you Sue, I love my necklace. It inspires me everyday when I look in the mirror. I am in awe of your talent! Keep me posted on where your pieces are, if you are doing a show or selling in a store cuz I'll be dragging everyone I know to come and see!!!! :)