Friday, June 19, 2009

West 9th Street Egrets




Here in Sonoma County, California, there is lots of farmland, open space, and a seasonal wetland (that may be the wrong term) called the Laguna de Santa Rosa. Great habitats for all sorts of creatures, including egrets and herons. But where does one large group of them nest every year? About a block away from my house in Santa Rosa, on a group of trees that are in the median strip of a 4 lane road!

They've been coming to this same group of trees since the 80's. There are plenty of other tall trees nearby, including some on Santa Rosa creek, but these birds prefer living in the hood. The city closes two of the 4 lanes beneath the trees for about 4 months every year while the birds nest and raise their babies. It's quite a mess beneath the trees, and a cacophony of very strange sounds. There are snowy egrets, great egrets and a few night and green herons too. There are 4 trees that are just loaded with birds, it's quite a site and draws birders from all over. I went with my mom and sister to see them nesting out at Audobon Canyon Ranch in Marin county a few years ago, but while the setting was nicer, the birds were closer and easier to see in my own back yard.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's amazing! Isn't nature wonderful!

Poppy Q said...

I am sure we saw some Egrets on the news in New Zealand tonight. It was where they had nested in a local community in 08, and it made it impossible for locals to use their outdoors. This year they were sitting outside and using horns and any other noisy things to scare them away.

Poor birds, I hope they find somewhere safe to nest.

Chocolate and Steel said...

that is so cool! I love egrets. They are so graceful.

Lora Hart said...

That's just too lovely! What a wonderful gift to be able to see these noble creatures up close whenever you can. I think I saw a heron on a freeway divide in Santa Barbara once, but I flew by so fast that I might have only imagined it.

Chin Lee 3 said...

You forgot to describe the smell for us!!!

Sherry Cordova said...

How nice!